Environmental Services supports departments across the University in meeting their environmental obligations as prescribed by UBC Policy #6 - Environmental Protection Compliance and UBC Policy #9 - Hazardous Materials Management.
Environmental Services provides departments, faculty and staff with regulatory and technical guidance through environmental audits, consultation, and the development of an Environmental Management System to:
- minimize the environmental impact of their operations;
- mitigate environmental risks; and
- prevent and control spills and releases to the environment.
Staff also compile and submit environmental compliance reports to various agencies at the district, provincial and federal level.
Environmental Services focuses on these key areas:
- Accidental spills or releases of hazardous materials
- Air Quality Management
- Contaminated sites
- Green Labs & Sustainability Coordinators in Labs
- Hazardous waste management and recycling programs
- Integrated Pest Management
- Non-compliant discharges to sanitary sewer
- Operation and maintenance of equipment containing PCBs
- Operation and maintenance of hazardous materials/fuel storage tanks
- Operation and maintenance of refrigeration units containing ODS and other halocarbons
- Research Grant Environmental Assessment
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention
- Water Quality