Environmental Services supports departments across the University in meeting their environmental obligations as prescribed by UBC Policy #6 - Environmental Protection Compliance and UBC Policy #9 - Hazardous Materials Management.
Environmental Services provides departments, faculty and staff with regulatory and technical guidance through environmental audits, consultation, and the development of an Environmental Management System to:
- minimize the environmental impact of their operations;
- mitigate environmental risks; and
- prevent and control spills and releases to the environment.
Staff also compile and submit environmental compliance reports to various agencies at the district, provincial and federal level.
Environmental Services focuses on these key areas:
- Green Labs Program
- Pollution Prevention and Hazardous Waste Management
- Laboratory Plastic, Battery & Styrofoam Recycling Programs
- Storage Tank Management
- Ozone Depleting Substances Management
- Sanitary Sewers
- Spills & Accidental Releases
- Water Quality